Sunday, November 27, 2011

Just like that time I won the Boston Marathon

Despite the fact that I have largely ignored NaNoWriMo (I think I wrote on two days) and only put forth a measly 3,500 words or so, there is a part of me that still believes I will finish and have 50,000 words completed on Wednesday.  Delusions of grandeur are not completely new to me.  I hate running, I have not been a real athlete since Clinton was President, and in one very embarrassing episode a few years ago I finished a 5K literally tenth to last behind a woman who looked like a poor man's Bette Midler and was wearing denim shorts.  HOWEVER, I still entertain the fleeting thought every once and a while that I just may win the Boston Marathon should I ever actually run it.  Spoiler alert- this will never happen.

In other news (of the actual writing kind), I think I am going to rewrite AN UNEXPECTED KINGDOM in the first person.  I think this is the roadblock that has kept it from getting to the level I've been hoping for (and maybe imagining it to be).  Big undertaking, right?  Gah!  But also (maybe) yay!

Finally, here is my favorite photo of me from our Ireland trip this summer.  It has nothing to do with anything, but it makes me feel creative and happy.


5 comments:

  1. Why can't you write 45,000 words in 3 days. LOL.

    You should join the NaNoRevMo group I'm working with. Most of us are working through December, and it's really encouraging getting an e-mail letting you know there are other people working as hard as you are. And writing AUK in first person could really bring everything closer. I'm excited for you!

    Oh, and the pic is cute. Your hair blowing in the wind, the water behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture, and I know *exactly* what you mean about rewriting a book. The first book that I wrote thinking it would land me an agent and make me a best selling sensation didn't quite work out. But that book is currently in line for the first person treatment, and I'm hopeful I can really bring some umph to the table now that I have some other novels under my belt...

    At least that's my hope.

    Good luck with Unexpected Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love delusions of grandeur! They're the best kinds of delusions! Best of luck getting your 50,000, and have so much fun rewriting in first person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read AUK in the first person - GO FOR IT!!!

    Reading the phrase, "delusions of grandeur" compels me to give a shout out to one of the best Broadway musicals ever - WICKED. Talk about inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny- I truly thought I might, but I didn't. My husband gets so mad when I see an eating challenge on t.v. and say "I could do that." because a) I couldn't, and b) I kind of think I could.
    Rena- Thanks for your well wishes and speaking of well wishes- good luck with your dissertation defense!!
    Peggy- Go big or go home applies to delusions as well as anything, right?
    Caitlin- "I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so." Thanks favorite sister.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! Please keep them PG as I am writing for kids and young adults and hope some of them will find their way here.