Sunday, January 15, 2012

One From the Vaults

You know, I never think of myself as a weird kid, but I am having to reconsider that classification.  My mom and dad are selling the house I grew up in and so we've spent the past few weekends clearing it out.  I found boxes of stories that I wrote between second and seventh grade.  As everyone else painted and scrubbed, I sat and sifted through my childhood and laughed so hard that I was crying hysterical can't-breathe tears.  Here is a fun example from second grade:

If I Were a Turkey by Megan Dolan (age 7)
Once upon a time there was a turkey and her name was Nicole.  There was another turkey.  Her name was Megan.  She was very nice and I mean nice.  But one day she heard a gunshot.  Nicole was dead.  My little sister turkey said, "I am scared."  I wanted to say shut-up but I didn't.  She was crying.  The End.

In addition to the sudden switch from third-person to first-person POV (an egregious error) this story seems to show that I had it in for someone named Nicole.  There was no one named Nicole in my class so I'm not sure who that bullet was meant for, but I am surprised my teacher chose only to give me a "Good Job!" accompanied by a smiley face.

In addition to huge amounts of literary gold from young Megan Dolan, great books I read over the past two weeks include LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE by Dianna Wynne Jones, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis, and THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson.  Of course I have already made my thoughts on the amazing SHATTER ME clear.  See this post. I love good books, don't you?  Anyone have some early writing they'd like to share? 

3 comments:

  1. OMG So cute!! To bad for Turkey Nicole though. I don't have anything from my childhood. We moved around way too much to still have stuff, plus I think there might have been a fire at one of our houses that destroyed some things. I do have some journals from when I was single that are pee your pants funny. Oh I was SO desperate and CLUELESS.

    Thanks for sharing. I am currently reading Variant. It's a little bit like The Maze Runner. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Nicole! At least it was a swift ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowowow, I absolutely love that story! Made me laugh so hard :D Neat blog; I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments! Please keep them PG as I am writing for kids and young adults and hope some of them will find their way here.