Thursday, June 9, 2011

Almost there!

I suspect my time is up as it's been 48 hours since I said I would write 10,000 words over the next two days, but I am sorta almost there so I'm not counting myself out yet.  I'm still writing and have another Diet Coke in the refrigerator if I need it.  If I never hit the delete button I would probably be just about there, but I am an edit-as-I-go writer.  If I step away from the computer for a minute, I am revising as soon as I return.  I will be away for the weekend and without my computer, so tonight is my last chance to write for a few days and thankfully the Bruins are off tonight, although my attention keeps being drawn to the Dallas/Miami game (Go Mavs.). 
Something that I want to mention quickly before I jump back to my pal Ben, is that I read and very much enjoyed The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card.  Card is a highly regarded and prolific science fiction writer and is particularly well known for his award-winning novel Ender's Game.  That book has been recommended to me several times, including by two non-family/friends who read early drafts of my manuscript and thought Ender's Game would be a great book for me to read as an example of a wonderfully written novel in my genre.  But then- disaster(!!)- the type of which really never happens to me.  I didn't like it.  I didn't actively dislike it by any means, but I just did not connect with it and I was completely embarrassed (in truth, this is the first time I am admitting it).  I felt like I was not getting what Card was writing and that it meant I was not smart enough to write a good fantasy novel.  But, now that I really connected with The Lost Gate, I simply think that not every book (even the great ones) are right for every reader and I will rest a bit easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please keep them PG as I am writing for kids and young adults and hope some of them will find their way here.