Saturday, August 27, 2011

A title to die for

The current issue of Writer's Digest magazine landed in my mailbox yesterday and, as usual, I immediately turned to my favorite section, "Breaking In".  It highlights upcoming works from debut authors and features mini-interviews where they explain how they got published.  In this issue, my eyes were immediately drawn to the title of Michelle Hodkin's debut YA novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.  I am in awe of that title.  L-O-V-E.  I would buy that book on the title alone.  In thinking about this a little further, I must admit that although I do research books and read reviews, oftentimes I make my purchases are based on title and/or the book's cover.  I had the title of An Unexpected Kingdom in mind the day the story started percolating in my brain.  I know it's dangerous to be so married to a title since an agent or publisher may make you change it, but I am very attached [hugs manuscript].  As for other books, I took a scan at my bookshelves and here are just a few of my favorite titles:

The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen
Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

How must stock do you put in titles?  What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please keep them PG as I am writing for kids and young adults and hope some of them will find their way here.